BLACK FOREST CAKE RECIPE

One bite of a store-bought Black Forest Cake and I wanted to die. I don’t know about you, but that is not the reaction I like to have when eating cake. Surely there would be a way for me to make a Black Forest Cake palatable for me and all humankind. So, I made this cake completely from scratch with my Perfect Chocolate Cake recipe, added chocolate syrup to keep the crumb extra moist, filled it with a homemade cherry filling, and frosted the whole thing with vanilla whipped cream.

YOU GUYS. I tried it and I LIKED IT. And not just liked…LOVED! Yes, I now love Black Forest Cake.


If you are the person who thinks you don’t like Black Forest Cake and/or want to write it off I beg of you not to. At least not until you try my recipe first! I promise it’s not like the rest! I promise you will like it! Unless you don’t like cherries or chocolate in which case, these might be more of the kind of dessert you’d like.

Ingredients

  • 1 recipe Perfect Chocolate Cake baked and cooled
  • for the cherry filling-
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 2 cups frozen tart cherries + extra for garnish
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
  • for the whipped cream-
  • 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
  • 1/4 cup powdered sugar
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla
  • 6 tablespoons chocolate syrup divided
  • 4 oz. bittersweet baking chocolate I used Ghirardelli (1 bar)

Instructions

  1. The first thing to do is make the cake using this recipe! Let the 2-8 inch cakes cool completely.
  2. For the cherry filling, stir sugar and cornstarch together in a cold small pot until combined. Add in cherries and toss. Place over medium-low heat to melt frozen cherries. Once a paste has formed around the cherries, increase the heat to medium and keep stirring until all the liquid has come out of the cherries and mixture is boiling. Continue to stir until it becomes very thick, about 4 minutes or boiling. Be careful to not walk away from this mixture because it can burn easily. Remove from heat and stir in butter and almond extract. Cool completely.
  3. For the cream, whip heavy whipping cream, sugar and vanilla until stiff peaks form. Refrigerate until ready to use.
  4. To assemble cake-
  5. Slice one 8-inch round in half and place onto a cake plate. Drizzle the inside of cake with 3 tablespoons of chocolate syrup and spread using the back of a spoon. Top with the other half of cake. Add on cooled cherry filling leaving a 1-inch border. You will not use all of it...FYI! I had about 2 tablespoons left.} Place another half an 8-inch round on top of cherry filling. Drizzle with remaining 3 tablespoons of chocolate syrup and spread. Top with remaining cake. Spread entire cake with whipped cream. I find it always better to add way too much and then as I clean up the cake, I remove the excess. This helps ensure not a ton of crumbs get into your cream.
  6. If desired use a vegetable peeler to create chocolate shavings with the chocolate baking bar. Freeze 5 minutes before applying to the sides and top of the cake.
  7. Garnish with cherries if desired. Serve!

Iklan Atas Artikel

Iklan Tengah Artikel 1

Iklan Tengah Artikel 2

Iklan Bawah Artikel