Gluten Free Swiss Roll Cake

I first published a recipe for gluten free “ho-hos” in 2011. I had been blogging for just over 2 years (a blogging baby!) and I was ridiculously proud of myself for coming up with a copycat recipe for a serious personal favorite treat.

Growing up, my brother and I were obsessed with Yodels. Well, he was way more obsessed than I was. I’ll leave out the details of how I know that but it has something to do with saving the foil wrapper from his very first Yodel but I’m not telling that story to protect the innocent. But when he asked me to bring over a dessert to help celebrate all of the fall birthdays in our family (there are a ton of them!), a giant Yodel was basically a no-brainer.

I made two versions of this lovely gluten free chocolate cake (more chocolate cakes!) to bring to my brother’s house. I think the crowd was kind of split down the middle for favorites. One version was filled with marshmallow creme (the homemade kind has my heart), and the other was filled with no bake cheesecake filling.



In Gluten Free Classic Snacks, the Little Debbie Swiss Rolls are filled with a 7-Minute Creme Filling. That filling is extremely similar to marshmallow creme, as it’s made with egg whites, sugar and water.

To make 7 Minute Creme Filling, rather than cooking the sugar to 240°F on its own and then whipping it with the egg whites while it’s still hot, everything is mixed together and then cooked over a double boiler until it reaches 160°F. Then the mixture is beaten for 7 minutes until light and fluffy. Six of one, half a dozen of the other—except the marshmallow creme recipe seems somehow easier to me.

INGREDIENTS

  • 1/2 cup (70 g) all purpose gluten free flour (I used Better Batter)
  • 1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum (omit if your blend already contains it)
  • 5 tablespoons (25 g) unsweetened natural cocoa powder
  • 1 tablespoon (9 g) cornstarch
  • 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 4 eggs (200 g, weighed out of shell) at room temperature, separated into yolks and whites
  • 3/4 cup (150 g) granulated sugar
  • 6 tablespoons (84 g) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
  • 1 tablespoon warm water
  • Confectioners’ sugar, for rolling
  • Marshmallow creme (homemade or store-bought), for filling
  • 14 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
  • 3 tablespoons (42 g) virgin coconut oil

DIRECTIONS

  1. Preheat your oven to 350°F. Line a 13-inch x 18-inch rimmed baking sheet (a half-sheet pan) with unbleached parchment paper and set it aside.
  2. In a medium-size bowl, place the flour, xanthan gum, cocoa powder, cornstarch and salt, and whisk to combine. Set the dry ingredients aside. In a large bowl, place the egg yolks, 1/2 cup (100 g) of the granulated sugar, the butter, and the water, and whisk vigorously until smooth and pale yellow. Add the dry ingredients to the egg yolk mixture, and whisk to combine. The mixture should be thick but smooth. Set it aside.
  3. ................................................

for full instruction please see : glutenfreeonashoestring.com

Iklan Atas Artikel

Iklan Tengah Artikel 1

Iklan Tengah Artikel 2

Iklan Bawah Artikel