Easy Vegan French Toast

This easy vegan french toast calls for only 5 ingredients! And it’s still crispy, sweet and golden-brown. Perfect for Sunday brunch, or my favorite – breakfast for dinner! 

Ever have one of those days where you’re like I wonder if I could pull that off?

You know, like a pixie cut, or aviators, or yoga pants with elephants on them, or making vegan french toast?

Yeah, it’s kind of weird, but I like to challenge myself in the kitchen to see what recipe makeovers and variations I can actually pull off.


We just celebrated our fourth wedding anniversary and it caused me to reflect on our early days of marriage, living in Portland in late spring, early summer. I made us breakfast most mornings – just like I do now – and  we’d sit and talk with the windows open before getting to the day’s tasks. I discovered early on John isn’t a pancake guy. The thing is, I’m a pancake girl. But our common ground? French toast. Thank goodness.

Since going dairy-free, I haven’t made french toast as often as I used to, but I do miss it. Our favorite recipe is basic with a little cinnamon and vanilla, then topped with fresh strawberries and maple syrup or honey.

I’m not entirely egg-free (though am growing more suspicious of them by the moment), but I wanted to make a vegan french toast recipe A) to see if it was in fact possible to make french toast without eggs, and B) to come up with my own variation to share with you all, as I know there are already a lot of vegan frenchy recipes out there.


Vegan french toast I wasn’t so sure about. I love regular french toast and was a little worried about ruining an already good thing we had going. Curiosity overruled my skepticism though and before I knew it, I was busting out the flaxseed.

Watch the video below for how to make my vegan french toast!

I tried making the batter two different ways – one where I added all the ingredients together (including the flax) and the other where I made a “flaxseed egg” separately and let it sit in the fridge before adding it to the batter. The “flaxseed egg” version may have been a smidgen thicker but honestly, I don’t think it made much of a difference.

INGREDIENTS

  • 1 cup (240ml) Soy Milk (or other non-dairy milk)
  • 4 Tbsp Chickpea Flour (or sub all purpose flour)
  • 2 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast
  • 1 Tbsp Maple Syrup or Date Syrup
  • 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
  • 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp Salt
  • 6 Slices Bread (thickly sliced)*
  • Coconut Oil (for frying)*

INSTRUCTIONS

  1. Add the chickpea flour (or all purpose flour if you’re using) to a shallow bowl and add just a dash of soy milk and mix in until smooth. Then add the rest of the soy milk.
  2. Add the nutritional yeast, maple syrup, vanilla extract, cinnamon and salt and whisk together.
  3. Heat up a frying pan with some coconut oil.
  4. Soak a slice of bread in the batter for a few seconds on each side, and then place onto the frying pan to cook until browned on each side.
  5. Serve as is or drizzled with syrup or jam and topped with some vegan whipped cream.

NOTES

  • I found the coconut oil to be very helpful in getting the outsides nice and browned and the most similar to ‘regular’ French toast. I added a bit more coconut oil (around one teaspoon) with every slice of french toast.
  • I used a sourdough bread that was a little stale. Cut thickly it made the perfect kind of slices for making french toast. You will definitely get the best results if you choose a sturdy kind of bread (not soft sandwich bread) that you can slice thickly, and it’s also ideal if it’s a little on the stale side rather than ultra fresh.

Iklan Atas Artikel

Iklan Tengah Artikel 1

Iklan Tengah Artikel 2

Iklan Bawah Artikel