SUGAR FREE LOW CARB ORANGE CHICKEN

This recipe is for those of us who like orange chicken but, do not like all of the sugar that comes with it. This ‘skinny-version’ method of making orange chicken is also a bit more friendly to the average diet as well.   I was shocked when I read the nutritional information on the average orange chicken recipe. For example, that famous fast food place at the mall (at least at my mall) with the orange chicken says that their orange chicken has about 51 grams of carbs and 19 grams of sugar per serving. That same 5.7 ounce serving has about 490 calories in it too.

One Of Our Favorite Low-Carb Meals!

Why is this one of our favorite meals, you might ask? Well, let me ask you this. Do the pictures look low-carb? Do they look like a healthy alternative to take-out? You probably said no because it's the real deal! When something tastes so good, but is made from whole foods and you know exactly what went into it, it's hard for it not to be one of your favorite low-carb meals. This will become a family favorite and a weekly staple in your household, guaranteed!


Low Carb Chinese Food
Chinese food was always the food that made me feel most guilty. Mostly because it was impossible to control myself around. There is something irresistible about salty, savory, meaty, fatty noodles and rice. I know you know the feeling. I enjoy indulging too much to cut myself off from Chinese food, so I created some of the best low-carb Chinese recipes that I could enjoy guilt-free. You should give our easy cashew chicken, lemon chicken and egg roll in a bowl a try and make them a part of your next take-out night!

I must at this time reassure you that I agree, regular orange chicken sure is yummy to eat. However, I kind of like the thought of a lower carb version myself. Orange chicken is normally made with the darker meat from a chicken. My recipe features chicken breast, or the light meat. Light meat is usually preferred in a skinny version of about anything.

Ingredients (makes 4 servings)
Chicken:

  • 1/4 cup virgin coconut oil (60 ml)
  • 1.1 lb chicken thighs, skinless and boneless (500 g)
  • 1 head broccoli, cut into small florets (225 g/ 8 oz)
  • 1 tbsp sesame seeds

Sauce:

  • 1/4 cup tamari sauce or coconut aminos (60 ml)
  • 1/4 cup fresh orange juice (60 ml/ 2 fl oz)
  • 1 tsp chili oil or toasted sesame oil
  • Optional: 1 tbsp Swerve or Erythritol
  • zest of 1/2 orange

Suggested sides:

  • cauliflower rice, 1 to 1 1/2 cups per serving (here's how you can make cauli-rice)
  • shirataki rice, 1 cup per serving
  • more steamed broccoli, 1 cup per serving

Instructions

  1. Cut the chicken into 2 1/2 cm/ 1-inch pieces. Heat the coconut oil in a large skillet or wok over high heat. Add in the chicken and brown 3-4 minutes per side until golden.
  2. Add in the broccoli and stir-fry 3-4 minutes.
  3. Whisk together the sauce ingredients in a small bowl then pour over the chicken and broccoli. Cook 2-3 minutes until the sauce is reduced.
  4. Sprinkle in the sesame seeds and serve with cauli-rice, shirataki rice or more broccoli.

Iklan Atas Artikel

Iklan Tengah Artikel 1

Iklan Tengah Artikel 2

Iklan Bawah Artikel