Slow Cooker Honey Teriyaki Chicken

Let’s talk dinner.

The slow cooker was my saving grace during the last month of my pregnancy, aka the penguin waddle month. (Speaking of– I’ll be introducing our daughter on my blog this Monday! We’ve been on cloud 9 the past two weeks with her.) Not only did the slow cooker help me prepare a ton of freezer meals, it kept Kevin and I fed for lunch and dinner when my energy was zapped during my waddle weeks.

Also next week! Sharing a blog post all about freezer meals. Stay tuned!

My 7 year old is the pickiest eater that you will meet.  We keep hoping that he will grow out of it, but he keeps getting older and still doesn’t like a lot of foods.  We at least have him try a couple of bites of what we eat, but he usually gags it down.  If you ask him what his favorite meal on the blog is, he will say this teriyaki chicken.   And if he likes it I am convinced that the world will like it! 😉


So I am sure that you can imagine how often this Teriyaki Chicken gets made in this house.  But I am not complaining because it takes a matter of minutes to throw into the slow cooker and it is amazing.  As I was making it the other day, I wondered how much better honey would make the recipe.  This simple added ingredient took it to a whole different level.

One of my favorite meals was this slow cooker honey teriyaki chicken. Massively flavorful and satisfying, this healthy dinner is versatile and simple. I ate it on top of a bed of rice or quinoa, but loved it with a big side of steamed broccoli and baked sweet potatoes too. Kevin liked it with rice or sandwich style on hearty kaiser rolls. Basically anything to soak up all the homemade teriyaki sauce.

I can’t say this about many meals, but this slow cooker teriyaki chicken is SERIOUSLY SO GOOD reheated as leftovers. Even better after a day or 2 because the sauce thickens in the fridge and the chicken seeps it all up– it’s completely drenched with it. Loaded with fresh flavors like garlic and ginger, sweetened with honey and a touch of brown sugar, this is the meal that keeps on giving.

Let me tell you how I made it.

INGREDIENTS

  • 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 6), cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
  • 1/2 medium yellow onion, diced (about 1 cup)
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/2 cup tamari or soy sauce
  • 1/2 cup honey
  • 1/4 cup rice vinegar
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 tablespoon grated peeled fresh ginger
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 2 tablespoons cornstarch

For serving: cooked rice, red pepper flakes, sesame seeds, sliced scallions
INSTRUCTIONS

  1. Arrange the chicken in a single layer in the bottom of a 6-quart or larger slow cooker. Scatter the onion and garlic over the top. Whisk the soy sauce, honey, rice vinegar, pepper, and ginger together in a small bowl and pour over the chicken.
  2. Cover and cook on the LOW setting for 2 to 3 hours or on the HIGH setting for 1 to 2 hours. The chicken is done when an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest piece registers 165°F.
  3. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the chicken to a bowl. Pour the sauce left in the slow cooker into a small saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook until reduced by half, 15 to 20 minutes. Meanwhile, whisk the water and cornstarch together in a small bowl. Once the sauce has reduced, whisk the cornstarch slurry into the sauce and cook until thickened, 1 to 2 minutes.
  4. Return the chicken to the slow cooker and pour in enough sauce to coat the chicken. Reserve any remaining sauce for leftovers. Serve over cooked rice and garnish with red pepper flakes, sesame seeds, and scallions.

Iklan Atas Artikel

Iklan Tengah Artikel 1

Iklan Tengah Artikel 2

Iklan Bawah Artikel