Creamy Sausage & Potato Whole30 Casserole

This creamy Whole30 casserole is the perfect easy and family friendly dinner. It’s with sausage and potatoes in under an hour and is a creamy, comforting Paleo or Whole30 recipe. It would be great for meal prep, and I think the leftovers are almost more delicious!

My midwest, Minnesotan youth was filled with all types of classic casseroles. In Minnesota we call a casserole a “hot dish”, which I’ve been told isn’t the norm in most parts of the country. Hot dishes, or, you know, casseroles, were a staple at every family gathering. That’s probably why I think of these foods as comfort foods now – hearty, and ate around a table with my favorite people.


Simple, quick dinners are one of my favorite things ever!  I’m all about finding ways to get a satisfying meal on the table without needing to spend hours in the kitchen, especially with school starting again and trying to get back into a more scheduled routine.

Because as much as I love being in the kitchen, I’d much rather spend that time hanging out with my family when they’re around, you know?

I was trying to figure out what to make for dinner recently and remembered this Creamy Sausage and Potatoes dish that my mom used to make when I was a girl.  I was a super picky eater (yup, unfortunately, it’s true!), but this was one dish I was always happy to see sitting on the table when we gathered for dinner.

Little did I know that one of the reasons my mom made it so often was because it’s easy to make and inexpensive too!

This creamy sausage and hash brown Paleo and Whole30 casserole is ALMOST a one pan meal, but you will need a skillet for the creamy sauce and sausage. It’s worth the extra dish, I promise! I love this casserole so much I’ve made it specifically for breakfast too. I tell myself it’s like a hash brown sausage and gravy casserole when it’s before 9 a.m.


The potatoes I used for the paleo casserole came from a bag of compliant hash browns. You can find these in many stores, including Walmart! If going from frozen, you’ll want to let them thaw prior to baking. I used canned coconut cream and a Califia Farms almond milk. Any Paleo substitution would work for the milk, including nutpods. You’ll need a bit of ghee for the cream sauce, broth, and some arrowroot flour to thicken the cream and the rest of the ingredients will be your normal pantry and food items!

Ingredients

  • 1 tablesooon canola oil
  • 1/2 medium onion diced
  • 4 Lilydale Smoked Turkey Sausages sliced
  • 1 teaspoon minced garlic
  • 1 teaspoon dried parsley
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
  • 1 lb small Creamer potatoes halved (about 16 potatoes or 3 cups)
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 2 tablespoons corn starch
  • 1/2 cup shredded cheese

Instructions

  1. Turn the Instant Pot to saute and wait until it reads "hot". Add the oil.
  2. Add the onion and cook until it is translucent and beginning to brown. Stir in sausages, garlic, parsley, salt, and thyme and cook 1-2 minutes until sausage is beginning to brown.
  3. Turn the Instant Pot off, add the broth and potatoes and put the lid on.
  4. Turn the valve to sealing, and select Manual or Pressure Cook for 2 minutes. It will take about 10 minutes to reach pressure and start counting down.
  5. When the cook time is over, do a quick release (open the valve) and open the lid. Turn the Instant Pot to saute.
  6. Whisk together milk and corn starch and stir into pot, cooking for 1-2 minutes until thickened. Stir in cheese. Serve.

Notes
*Please note that this recipe is tested in a 6 quart Instant Pot pressure cooker. Other models may require different minimum liquid requirements and cook differently.

Iklan Atas Artikel

Iklan Tengah Artikel 1

Iklan Tengah Artikel 2

Iklan Bawah Artikel