Churro Cupcakes

So as I’m writing this, I’m on hold for the IRS.

I guess they get angry with you if you neglect to select a payment plan before April 15. In my defense, their online portal doesn’t work and calling them means shaving off four hours of waiting time off of my life, so I didn’t do either. I figure, if they want their money, they’ll call me, right?

Well. Not really. They just send angry letters. (Seriously, the only letter I’ve received in about, oh, YEARS). I’m convinced my penpals all died.

Which reminds me of the time when Xanga, an online journal website, was super popular and I was on there, writing my daily beef and meeting other like-minded emotional teenagers like myself. And without really knowing who they were except that they loved the colors hot pink and lime green together and listened to the same music I did, I would give them my address so we could be penpals. I’m sure if my parents knew they’d be horrified, but I didn’t seem to think that this is OMG THE WORST IDEA EVER.


Dreamy cinnamon and vanilla cupcakes with Cinnabon Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting and a sugary churro on top!  To date, these churro cupcakes are my favorite dessert yet!

All week, I’ve been dreaming of a churro and I finally had to stop by El Paso to get one!  I’ve had my fair share of Mexican sweets for the month, but I’ve been wanting more.  Since today is Cinco de Mayo, I wanted to make something extra fun and share these amazing cupcakes.

Thankfully I was never visited by any scary old hairy men and I got letters back with girly calligraphy which doesn’t say much but whatever. We’d send each other mix tapes and letters relaying information about our boyfriends and how our lives were so0o rough and lament that we didn’t live closer, which in retrospect is probably a good thing seeing as I wasn’t positive who I was chatting with.

The cupcake batter is pretty simple.  It starts with butter, sugar and the usual.  However, this recipe uses both heavy cream and full-fat sour cream. The result?  An incredibly moist cupcake that tastes better than any boxed version out there.

I couldn’t make a Churro Cupcake without indulging in Churros.  I just love that the first bite is the churro on top.  It left me fully engaged and ready to take a lick of the frosting!

INGREDIENTS
FOR THE CUPCAKES

  • 2 c. all-purpose flour
  • 1 c. granulated sugar
  • 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
  • 1 tsp. kosher salt
  • 3/4 c. (1 1/2 stick) melted butter, cooled
  • 1 c. milk
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
  • Cinnamon-sugar, for sprinkling

FOR THE FROSTING

  • 1 (8-oz.) block cream cheese, softened
  • 4 tbsp. butter, softened
  • 3 c. powdered sugar
  • 2 tbsp. heavy cream
  • 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
  • 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
  • Pinch kosher salt
  • Cinnamon-sugar, for topping
  • Churros, for garnish

DIRECTIONS

  1. Preheat oven to 350° and line two muffin tins with cupcake liners. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. 
  2. In a medium bowl, whisk together melted butter, milk, egg, and vanilla. Add to dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Divide batter evenly among liners, filling ¾ full, then sprinkle tops with cinnamon-sugar. 
  3. Bake until a toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean, 20 minutes. Let cool completely. 
  4. Meanwhile make frosting: In a large bowl using a hand mixer, beat cream cheese and butter until smooth. Add powdered sugar and cinnamon and beat until no lumps remain. Add heavy cream, vanilla, and a pinch of salt and beat until combined. If frosting is too thick, add more heavy cream a tablespoon at a time until desired consistency. 
  5. Transfer frosting to piping bag fitted with a large open star tip. Pipe frosting onto cooled cupcakes, then sprinkle with cinnamon sugar and top with a mini churro.

Iklan Atas Artikel

Iklan Tengah Artikel 1

Iklan Tengah Artikel 2

Iklan Bawah Artikel