Overnight Cinnamon Apple Baked French Toast Casserole

The past few days, I’ve been spending time with some awesome bloggers in San Francisco. I’m home now, but I had a blast with everyone. It was a super relaxed trip. There was a general agenda of some fun things to do to explore the city but no pressure or strict schedule. I finally got to see the Golden Gate Bridge too! The last time I was in San Fran with the hubs, there was so much fog you’d have thought the bridge wasn’t real. This time we had amazing weather every day. And since Dorothy grew up there, she was the perfect guide!

To give you an idea of the relaxed nature of the trip, one morning when I walked into the suite at the hotel that acted as our gathering space and “home base”, I asked if there was coffee creamer when I made coffee. The response I got was, “There’s Baileys!” Oh, how I love Lisa! 🙂 And I did have Baileys. I mean, that’s what vacation – and friends – are for, right? The weekend was full of just the right mix of blogging talk and relaxing with friends.


Guys, this is my new favorite French Toast Casserole, followed closely by my Overnight Coconut Almond French Toast Casserole! Seriously, your weekend weekend can’t get much better than wearing your jammies and eating a slice of this Overnight Cinnamon Apple French Toast Casserole soaked in maple syrup. Mmmmm! I just feel all warm and cozy inside just thinking about it.

This breakfast casserole is a cinch to make. Just cut up some day old challah bread and your favorite apples, pour a custard mixture over the top and let it all soak into the bread while you sleep. The next morning all you have to do is turn on the oven, mix 4 ingredients together to make the yummy streusel for the top and then bake. While it bakes you can snuggle back in bed, binge on Netflix, get ready for the day,… whatever.

One of the great things about this french toast casserole is that because it’s so easy to prepare, you can totally enjoy time with your family rather than spend a bunch of time making breakfast. Particularly at the holidays, with so much going on and so much food being prepared, it allows you to get some prep work done ahead so you can spend the morning with your family. That’s how I like it. Not to mention that it’s cinnamon apple, which I love.

Ingredients
for 4 servings

  • 12 oz  french bread, a day old (285 g)
  • 2 granny smith apples, peeled
  • 1 cup  brown sugar (220 g)
  • 2 teaspoons  cornstarch
  • 6 eggs
  • 2 cups  milk (475 mL)
  • 1 teaspoon  vanilla
  • 1 teaspoon  cinnamon
  • ¼ cup  maple syrup (55 g)
  • powdered sugar, to taste
  • whipped cream, to taste

Preparation

  1. Cut the bread into 1-inch (2 ½ cm) cubes.
  2. Dice peeled apples into small bite-size pieces.
  3. Preheat the oven to 350˚F (180˚C).
  4. In a medium bowl, mix together the bread, apples, sugar, and cornstarch.
  5. In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, vanilla, and cinnamon.
  6. Pour egg mixture into the bread bowl.
  7. Give the ingredients a good stir, then pour into a 9x13-inch (33 cm X 23 cm) greased baking tray.
  8. Drizzle with maple syrup.
  9. Bake for 45 minutes or until golden brown.
  10. Enjoy!

Iklan Atas Artikel

Iklan Tengah Artikel 1

Iklan Tengah Artikel 2

Iklan Bawah Artikel