Holiday Peppermint Cake

Okay, I admit it … I’m pretty much over all things pumpkin (let me clarify – except the mandatory pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving!) I’m ready to leave pumpkin treats behind and make all things peppermint and gingerbread! Who is with me?!

I love Torani Flavored Syrups to dress up my coffee and other drinks. Have you seen the new Easy Pour Spout?

I decided to take one of my favorite holiday cakes and infuse it with Torani Flavored Syrups! A few years ago, I made this exact cake, but the cake part was just a plain white cake mix … I decided to kick it up a notch with the addition of 1/2 cup of Torani Peppermint Flavored Syrup. I am so glad I did! It is definitely the little bit of something this cake needed!


Pink peppermint cocktails, pink peppermint cake – I want to cover my entire life in pink peppermint.

I’m also really kicking myself for not considering the “pink peppermint” theme when I decorated our house this year for Christmas! I mean, I’ve always said that I wish I could live in a life-sized gingerbread house.

Ever since I made my White Christmas sparkle cake last year, I’ve been dreaming of ideas to do a pink peppermint cake. Seriously, I’ve been excited about making this since, probably… June? It’s hard to believe that we’re here now.

I mentioned it yesterday in my pink peppermint cocktail post, but just the IDEA of pink peppermint is dreamy to me. It’s like fluffy fat vanilla marshmallows with creamy swirls of peppermint clouds – that’s how I envision pink peppermint.

This Holiday Peppermint Cake has become a holiday favorite – we look forward to it every year! We really love that extra bit of flavor that comes from the peppermint syrup! Although we love this with white cake, you can mix it up with a chocolate cake. Make it the same way for a chocolate-mint treat your friends and family will love!

Ingredients
For the Cake

  • 2 cups all-purpose flour 240g
  • 1 1/2 cup sugar 300g
  • 1 cup unsalted butter 227g, room temperature
  • 1 cup buttermilk 236mL
  • 1/2 cup cocoa powder + 1 tbsp 58g
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder 2g
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda 3g
  • 1 tsp salt 5g
  • 2 tsp vanilla 10mL
  • 1 tsp peppermint extract 5mL
  • 3 eggs
  • 2 egg yolks

For the Peppermint Buttercream

  • 1 cup white chocolate 170g, melted and cooled
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter 115g, room temperature
  • 1 pound confectioners' sugar 454g, sifted
  • 1/2 tsp peppermint extract 2mL
  • 1/4 cup cream 60mL, add a tablespoon at a time until desired consistency is reached
  • 10 drops food coloring

For the Italian Buttercream

  • 4 egg whites room temperature
  • 1 1/2 cup sugar 300g
  • 1/3 cup water 80mL
  • 1 pinch cream of tartar
  • 1 pound unsalted butter 454g, room temperature

For the Assembly

  • 1 cup crushed candy canes (approximately)
  • 1 869 piping tip

Instructions
For the Cake

  1. Butter and flour 4 six inch cake pans. Preheat oven to 350F.
  2. Sift the flour baking soda and powder, salt and cocoa powder.
  3. Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Beat the eggs and yolks in one at a time, then add in the vanilla and peppermint extract.
  4. In three batches, mix in the flour mixture alternating with the buttermilk. Don't over-mix!
  5. Divide batter evenly into pans and bake at 350f for about 25 - 30 minutes or until the centers are done. Allow to cool in pans for about 10 minutes and then invert onto a wire rack. 

For the Buttercream

  1. Beat the butter and melted (and cooled) chocolate together until well combined. Mix in the powdered sugar and peppermint extract. Add the cream a tablespoon at a time until the desired consistency is reached.

For the Italian Buttercream

  1. Beat the egg whites, cream of tartar and 1/3 a cup of the sugar on medium high in a stand mixer. At the same time add the rest of the sugar and water to a small sauce pan and cook on medium high. Stir to mix the sugar and water and then keep an eye on the temperature using a candy thermometer. When the sugar is at 240F and the egg whites reach the soft peak stage, slowly drizzle the sugar into the running mixer and lead the mixer running for 10 or so minutes to allow the meringue to cool. Add in the butter a tablespoon at a time use immediately.

For the Assemby

  1. Pipe the buttercream on the first cake layer (you can do a two tone swirl if you'd like 🙂 Sprinkle with crushed candy cane and repeat. Crumb coat the exterior and allow to set in the refrigerator for about 10 minutes. 
  2. Add the Italian buttercream and smooth. Apply the crushed candy cane to the base. Using an 869 tip, pipe dollops onto the top. You can also pipe the dollops onto a piping nail, freeze and apply to the top once set. If you use the piping nail you can twirl it while you pipe to get a swirled dollop. 

Iklan Atas Artikel

Iklan Tengah Artikel 1

Iklan Tengah Artikel 2

Iklan Bawah Artikel