Mediterranean Scrambled Eggs with Spinach, Tomato and Feta

The secret is out. I have a thing for eggs. I love all kinds of eggs: scrambled, sunny-side up, over-easy, poached, hard-boiled, etc., etc., etc. So much so, that at my last doctor’s check-up my cholesterol was apparently close to the high end of the range. At the time of that check-up, I wasn’t even 30! I mean, really?!? Apparently I have a lot of good cholesterol but also some bad. I was quite shocked but it didn’t really take me long to come to the conclusion that my two eggs per day breakfast routine might have something to do that number. So unfortunately, I have had to cut-back on my egg intake. What that means, however, is that when I do have eggs, I make sure it is worth my while. This Mediterranean scrambled eggs with spinach, tomato and feta cheese is definitely worth my while!

I suppose this isn’t so much a recipe as it is an idea – a bit of inspiration in case you’ve been feeling bored with your breakfasts lately – as I do every time I stare down into yet another bowl of bran flakes.


Breakfast is my least favourite meal of the day, by a long way. I just can’t seem to get excited about cereal (unless we’re talking the super sugary stuff, but I try not to buy that – always seems a bad way to start the day). I much prefer a warm breakfast, and scrambled eggs are a good option – they’re quick and easy to make, they’re pretty healthy, and every time I make them I’m reminded how underrated they are.

Just look at those vibrant colours.

“Breakfast like a King, Lunch like a Prince, and Dine like a Pauper”. Ever heard of that phrase? In layman terms, it basically means that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Eat well! Breakfast provides our bodies with the energy it needs to get through the day and helps our brain function. Ever written an exam or given a presentation on an empty stomach? Brain farts galore. I mean, I get it; it’s easy to skip breakfast during busy weekday mornings. But making a delicious and nutritious breakfast is easy and takes less than 10 minutes. That’s it!

This time I decided to liven up my scrambled eggs a bit, with heaps and heaps of veggies. They help to bulk the eggs out a bit, as well as adding loads of nutrients (they do always say you should try to eat the rainbow!). I went for a kind of Mediterranean theme, with peppers, tomatoes, olives, and capers. All my favourites. The olives and capers in particular make it really yummy – just because you’re having a healthy breakfast, doesn’t mean you need to miss out on flavour.

Piled high on some wholemeal toast, these Mediterranean scrambled eggs made for a brilliant healthy breakfast. Other healthy breakfast ideas appreciated!

INGREDIENTS
4-5 eggs, beaten
2 ripe tomatoes, grated
1 ½ cup (200g) hard feta cheese, crumbled (optional)
A pinch of sugar
5 tablespoons olive oil
Oregano or thyme (or both)
Salt (or not) and pepper
INSTRUCTIONS
In a 10.25" frying pan heat the olive oil over medium high heat. Add the grated tomatoes along with the salt (optional), pepper and the pinch of sugar. Wait until all of the liquid has evaporated from the tomato mixture, about 10 to 12 minutes. It shouldn’t be neither watery nor too dry.
In the meantime, crack the eggs into a bowl and whisk lightly with a fork just to break up the yolks. I repeat, lightly, meaning no more than 5-10 seconds. That will give the perfect consistency.
Over low heat add the eggs to the tomato mixture. Mix lightly (again) with a wooden spoon until the eggs start to cook. Don’t overcook them. Give the consistency you like.
Add feta cheese and give a final light stir. Cover the pan and let your kayana rest for 5 minutes.
Toast some bread, add a generous amount of kayana on top, fresh pepper, thyme, oregano and…

Iklan Atas Artikel

Iklan Tengah Artikel 1

Iklan Tengah Artikel 2

Iklan Bawah Artikel